- 8 cups water
- 1/3 lb. pork butt or pork loin (boneless or bone-in)
- 1/4 lb. pork or chicken liver
- 1 chicken breast (bone-in)
- 1/4 lb. fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. oil
- one (2-in/5-cm) piece ginger, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. shrimp paste
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz (240g) fresh Chinese egg noodles or fettucine or 4 oz (100g) dried ramen noodles
- 4 finely chopped green onions
- 4 tbsp. Fried Garlic
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed fried pork rinds
Cooking Procedures :
- Pour water to a stockpot and bring to a boil. Add pork, liver and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over high heat for 15 minutes; skim off the fat.
- Take out the meat and the liver; let it cool. Reserve the broth and set aside. By using your hands (or two forks – one to shred the meat and one to hold the bone) shred the pork and chicken meat; discard the bones. Slice the liver thinly. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté ginger for 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Stir-fry the shredded pork and chicken for about 5 minutes, or until lightly brown. Add shrimp; stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until shrimp turns pink and cook. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sautéed ginger, garlic and onion to the reserved broth in the stockpot; bring to boil. Add fish sauce, shrimp paste, sugar and salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat and add the noodles. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes (for fresh noodles) or 10 minutes (for dried noodles), or until noodles are soft.
- Ladle the broth and noodles into individual bowls. Top with the sautéed meat and shrimp and sliced liver. Garnish with green onions, fried garlic, and fried pork rinds. Serve hot.
- Serves 4 to 6.