Making crisps at home is fun and easy especially if you have a deep fryer. Experiment with the shape and thickness of the potatoes, you may like them thicker or thinner, and you can use kumara (sweet potato) too. I use olive oil but you can use other oils.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 cups (1 litre) oil for deep frying.
Prep:40min › Cook:15min › Ready in:55min
- Slice potatoes to your desired thickness and place them into a bowl of cold water as you slice. Drain and rinse, then refill the bowl with water and add the salt.
- Let the potatoes soak in the salty water for at least 30 minutes. Drain, then rinse and drain again.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 185 C. Fry potato slices in small batches. Once they start turning golden, remove and drain on paper towels. Continue until all of the slices are fried. Season with additional salt if desired.