Tempura is one of the popular Japanese dishes. If you are going to a Japanese restaurant, you have probably ordered it many times. I guess many people think tempura is quite difficult to cook, especially to make crispy batter. But you can make Tempura batter just from ingredients in your pantry. Tempura is very good for parties, because of the tasty colourful looking, it is easy to pick and you can chose any tempura sauce depending on individual taste. In addition, it needs very quick cooking time. Some of the sea food tempura just needs to fry for half a minute. Also, you can use tempura for Tempura Udon (wheat noodles), Tempura Soba (buckwheat noodles), Tempura Sushi and Tempura Don (sweet sauce tempura on rice).
1. Tempura ingredients:
- Plain flour: 100g (1Cup) *
- Egg: 1
- Cold water: 200cc (1Cup) *
- Baking Soda: 1 tea spoon
- Potato Starch: 2 table spoon
- Your choice of vegetables, sea foods and mushrooms such as potato, sweet potato, aubergine (eggplant), zucchini (courgette), onion, capsicum (paprika), pumpkin, green beans, carrot, okura, asparagus, prawn, white fish and squid.
- Oil (Natane oil, sunflower, corn or canola oil)
2. Make Tempura batter
- Mix Plain flour, baking soda and potato starch together. And then sift mixed flour as preparation.
- Crack an egg into the bowl and beat it roughly. Add the cold water and mix them.
- Put 1/3 mixed flour in to egg mixture and gently mix. Long cooking chop sticks are the best utensil for mixing tempura batter. If you do not have them, use a fork instead.
- Then add an additional 1/3 flour and mix.
- And finally add the last 1/3 flour and mix.
- Important: Lumps in the flour is completely fine. Do not mix it too much as you will get a lot of gluten which makes it heavy and un-crispy tempura batter.
Use the freshest ingredients you can find and cut them into pieces of same size to avoid an uneven cook.
Root vegetables (potato, carrot, sweet potato) and pumpkins are sliced 1cm.
- Take off the head and shell, but keep the tail.
- Remove the sand vein.
- Scrape the tail to stop the oil spitting when you fry it.
- Half cut the abdomen side every 1cm.
- Then push back side to abdomen side by fingers.