potato has many secrets of it’s own
- 3 pound large sweet potatoes, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup bourbon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut each potato half lengthwise into fourths. Steam potatoes on a steamer rack set over boiling water, covered, until just tender, 10 to 15 minutes, then cool, uncovered. Transfer to a buttered 3-quart shallow baking dish.
- Simmer brown sugar, butter, water, and salt, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and syrup is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in bourbon to taste. Drizzle syrup over potatoes and bake in middle of oven, basting occasionally, until syrup is thickened, about 1 1/4 hours.